Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Giving Thanks

There are always times when it's very easy to focus on the negative sides of things. When Colin was first born and we confirmed the diagnosis of Down Syndrome, we were heartbroken. It was easy to feel the sadness (because it was so overwhelming at the time) and more difficult to just be happy in the positives at the moment.

It's amazing how much changes in such a short amount of time. Sometimes when I look at Colin, it's hard to feel anything but happiness. I think about how I would like to go back and hug Chris and myself during that time period and tell them what I know now....that everything will be ok and that Colin will be so loved by friends and family, and will fight through everything he is presented with, and will be so special, that people will fall in love with HIM and melt hearts along the way. I would remind us to focus on the positives (great health) and to stay patient (which is still hard sometimes).

I have learned lots along the way, and am still learning (will be ongoing forever!)....I read a great post by Adrienne at Our Unexpected Journey about being Thankful for the unexpected. She talked about having a child with Down Syndrome and whether or not she was thankful for the Down Syndrome part because it was a huge part in making her child who he was. This post has stuck with me since reading it because she found a way to put into words something that I have been feeling. Superficially, it's hard to say that I am thankful for Colin having Down Syndrome because no one ever wants to have struggles for their children. However, if you were to remove the Down Syndrome, you would also remove the child that I know now and I could never imagine parting with this child.

I am grateful for Colin because of the things that he has taught me in 7 months span of time. I am proud of Chris and myself, and I am thankful to friends and family for supporting the three of us through this journey that we will continue to be on for a long time.

This holiday for me is about giving thanks for my very many blessings. I am so thankful that Colin was brought into my life and I am thankful that he has an extra chromosome. Without that, Chris and I would never have encountered such wonderful people and we probably would have never been as inspired about things as we are now...

I am thankful for...
  • my wonderful husband Chris who loves me and Colin with all that he is...
  • Supportive friends and family
  • New friends and family in the Down Syndrome community
  • All the people who have organized, signed up for, donated money to and supported CAT Crew on our quest to raise money for the Special Olympics through the polar bear plunge (we've raised just short of $10,000 so far!!!! If you would like to participate, just click here to go to our team page)
  • Love

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

3 comments:

Nana said...

Ditto!! Colin has brought more love to an already loving family!! He is our blessing!! Of course our children are our blessings as well!! Love, Nana

Natalia said...

That was such a beautiful post! I LOVE YOU TOBIN FAMILY!!! :) XOXOXO

Grandad said...

Kelli and Chris- I just want to share with you the feeling I had since you first told Mom and me about the day of your one sonogram and the possibility of Down Syndrome in my first grandchild. It never left me. (I am crying right now writing this at work)It made me think and look at myself. I prayed and prayed for his or her's health, but I was in a dilemma. I certainly couldn't pray to God for a "healthy" baby without DS could I, as every person on this earth is one of God's perfect children, so I prayed for the health of my grandchild only. I knew that whatever happened was for a reason, and God gave me a "healthy" grandson, whom I adore and love with all my heart and truly believe he is going to leave his mark on this world, just like his mommy and daddy. I am a changed person due to Colin, as is my family and I am so thankful this Thanksgiving for having Colin in my life. I love you all, Grandad.