Saturday, February 16, 2013

The Special Olympics of NJ

This morning we packed up and headed out to the Special Olympics of NJ complex so that Colin (and Kailey) could participate in the Young Athlete Program.  Any time I bring up the Special Olympics and ask Colin if he wants to go, he immediately starts saying excitedly "mom! dad! basketball! soccer! jumping!" so I knew that he would be happy to go.  


In order to control them running in different directions anywhere we go, I am able to make them hold hands with each other since they don't want to hold hands with me.  It works so well in getting in out of stores and other places, especially when we have to walk through a parking lot.  


While the program is for Colin, Kailey enjoys herself as well while we are there too.  Typically, Kailey is more of my shy one and in places like this, she often hesitantly walks around afraid to talk to anyone, or will cling to my side.  However, it was really nice to see her today have some more independence and willing to hold hands and work with some of the volunteers.   


I can't help but giggle to myself because the volunteers love to help, but Colin often lasts 10 seconds and is often to the next station.  They can barely pass him the ball before he is running somewhere else.  




Things were going really well with them today up until the end.  There is a circle time with the parachute in the beginning and then a circle time at the end where they have to listen and follow directions.  Typically, they both make it through both circle times, but at the end of the 2nd one today, both were done and then would go limp when I would try to pick them up and bring them back.  Oh how I love toddlers sometimes!


The Special Olympics of Polar Bear Plunge is just 1 week away from today!  The money raised DIRECTLY benefits Colin as some of the money is used to fund programs like the YAP!  If you are interested in donating (which we would be so appreciative of), please click here to go to my personal page.  Thank you for your support!

No comments: