Friday, August 19, 2011

The "Community"

Throughout this summer, Colin has formed quite a following on the beach. I can't tell you how many times people will walk by our set up on the beach or over by us at the water and say "hi Colin!" and I'll have no clue who they are. We're talking lifeguards, children, and adults of all ages.

Earlier this summer, Chris and I were out walking one night trying to get the kids sleepy enough to put them to bed when a woman came up to us while she was walking her dog with her triplet granddaughters and all she said was "O.M.G. that's all. I. have. to. say". She came running over to Colin, swooped him up and immediately fell in love. It turns out, she has a nephew with Down Syndrome who she raised for awhile until his siblings were old enough and decided that they wanted him to live with them. She swoons over Colin and Colin just loves her granddaughters. Every day she came over to get a hug and a kiss from Colin and we talked all summer. Her nephew is in late 30s/early 40s-ish (I can't remember exactly what she said). Whenever she would have guests, she would tell them about Colin so new people would walk on the beach and immediately say "hi colin!".

I have met so many people on the beach and around town this summer who know someone with Down Syndrome. They enjoy sharing their story about their friend, family member, friend of a friend, etc. that has Down Syndrome and how much they have changed their lives.

It's a community of people. We know someone with Down Syndrome and we love someone with Down Syndrome and our lives are better because of our special ones.

We are an awesome community and I am proud to be a part of it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could run into Colin at the beach...those lucky people! Sounds like you had a great summer!

Kelli @ livinglifewithes

Unknown said...

I have found it to be a very warm, inviting and surprisingly wonderful and fulfilling community...I love how the reaction to Maddie is warm and how in love they are with her just by the sight of her...how they want to share there story and tell us how lucky and wonderful our lives will be because of our sweet Maddie..great post...sorry that a great summer is almost over! smiles

Kathy O said...

Me too Kel- I say the same thing all the time that our community is so awesome..we are lucky to have been able to join!
Kathy