Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Best Medicine



Years ago when I was an 18 year old teenager working at a bagel shop in a beach town, I met a group of guys that quickly became special life long friends. They are friends I don't get to see very often and can go for long stretches without seeing or talking with them, but they are very important to me nonetheless. They were in a band together and created the type of songs that have special meanings and for me, hearing those songs brings me back to special times and places. In fact, the first night Chris and I ever hung out (our first "date") was a night their band played in a local bar and we spent hours talking and having a great time. We've been together ever since...



One such song that stands out in my mind is called "Laugh Out Loud", which they wrote. It's a special song to me because it reminds me that although throughout life we have good times and bad (which often pass by very quickly), we laugh out loud, sometimes when we least expect to, and feel so much better. All we need to do is laugh out loud because isn't it the best medicine?




While I was running today, this song came on my ipod and it made me think about things. Things have been tough for us lately because of the fact that Colin is teething, he has hit a little bit of a plateau when it comes to different skills, and feeding still isn't going anywhere. There are days when it's tough and it feels easier to mull over the bad things, until something unexpected makes you laugh, like a little boy crawling around with his Mickey ears on, a little girl cooing at you, a little boy singing with the choir in church and clapping when they were done, convincing your husband that you bought more coffee and after searching incessantly for it you realize he is right and there really isn't any left...so you laugh.


I quickly put this video together with the song they wrote, "Laugh out Loud" (our good friend Keith Rella is the one singing) with the things that make me laugh on a daily basis. They truly are my "best medicine"...




5 comments:

Rochelle said...

Awesome, best medicine ever! How is the first week back?

Nana said...

That was great!! I loved it!!! Love, Nana

Denise said...

That surely put a smile on my face :) Thanks for that!! I have something to get in the mail to you if I can ever make my way to the post office. You would think that I would have plenty of time now that Ella is in preschool but I feel more behind than ever!! By the way, LOVED when Colin kissed the camera and equally love those cute cheeks on Kailey.

Becca said...

So sweet, Kelli!! Definitely gave me a smile to start my day!!

randy said...

Hi there - loved the video complete with kissy faces and cooing - but also I actually went BACK to double check that you REALLY said YOU were running...back to work - two kids + Chris and you still have the energy to run... The energizer "bunny" has NOTHING on you Kelli:=) Were you also wearing you Supermom cape?? Happy Mother's Day X's 2! Enjoy YOUR special day.