Friday, March 25, 2011

Thanks for Making Me Special!

Colin and I were reading books before bed tonight and I happened to grab a book that Colin's Great-Grammy gave him at Christmas called "My Little Book of Dear God Letters". I was skimming through the pages and one of the letters is called "Thanks for Making me Special". It made me smile because it is just really fitting to Colin...

Dear God, Thanks for Making Me Special!
Everybody has things they can't do well, maybe climbing a rope at the playground, doing tricks with a yo-yo, or drawing. It's a lot easier to be mad about the things that you can't do than to thank God for the things you can. Think about it for a moment...if everyone were the same with the same abilities, the world would be boring! But with a little work, you can get better at stuff. And, with a thankful heart, you can be your best at everything.
I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. -- Phillipians 4:11
There have been so many times that I have teared up rocking Colin to sleep because I am just so proud of him for all of the things that he is doing on a daily basis now. I can't get over how much I love him at times, even on those days where it's incredibly frustrating because of the struggles that we face (like these new feeding issues). Colin does work really hard, and he certainly gets better at stuff on a daily basis.
Here are a few videos that show how Colin is getting better at stuff! The first video is of Colin in the "bear" position which is a new skill he has recently been showing off...


...and this second video is of Colin "step, step, stepping!" as he cruises along the couch and loveseat. What you can't see in this video because of my angle is that there is a big gap between the couch and loveseat and Colin bravely takes a bigger step to continue along the furniture.


Finally, this is a video for fun of Colin and Daddy "rough housing" which they do every day.


Oh and P.S....Colin "ate" a few spoonfuls at the end of dinner of pureed chicken nugget with a tiny bit of ketchup in it. He still blew raspberries, but tolerated more of it than I expected...overall, today was a tiny bit better so that was good for us...
And to add for fun, here is a picture of our little girl kailey resting peacefully (with her feet crossed) on the couch BEFORE she projectile spit up to the point of it coming out of her nose. Needless to say, we needed to give her a bath, and Colin being the great big brother that he is, wanted to help...

7 comments:

Rochelle said...

Oh my goodness that rough housing video...priceless!

ch said...

1. Colin has the best eyebrows in the business. And I love how, somehow, they're connected to his feet. Eyebrows up and toes POINT!

2. LOVE the look back over the shoulder at mom when he bridges the gap and makes it to the loveseat. :0) SO sweet.

3. Also giggled at the official uniform of the Kailey-Washers. You guys mean BUSINESS over there at your house. :0)

Such a happy post...made my day.

Kristin said...

Love that "help me" whine he got to the corner of the couch! You're doing great, Colin!

Anonymous said...

I love how Colin & his Mom are dressed the same for doing bath duty - too precious!

Unknown said...

I love the book "letter from god" Colin is a great helper!! I bet he is loving being a BIG brother!! I know it smells bad..but I am using alot of ranch dressing to get Maddie to eat...also VERY soggy cheerios to encourage chewing...and the LARGE puff orange cheetos...this seems to help and she is starting to make the connection with chewing and swallowing..kind of!! I am not sure with texture for Colin...but I just thought maybe this could help stimulate his mouth...Maddie has to have a cheerio or smaller to digest so we have run the course with food...she is refusing baby food...so she is eating flaky moist fish and I mix the pureed veggie in...with RANCH...it seems to be a slow process..thanks for all the info on eating...I have used alot of your tips..smiles

JC said...

Loved the words from that book! Its so fun seeing what Colins up too, what a great job with taking steps!! And this last picture is very sweet...Mommys little helper :)

Anonymous said...

Love the videos and pictures!! Too cute!!