Friday, March 26, 2010

Thank You...

Words cannot express how truly grateful I am to all of you for your words of encouragement through my little bit of rough patch I have had this week. I read through your comments several times because I was so thankful for them.


I will admit that I have had an emotional week for many reasons, between a buyer falling through on our house, work stress (Gov. Christie is really messing with NJs public education ), and as I talked about yesterday, my frustrations with Colin's gross motor development. I have cried at least once every day [if not more...lol].

However, it's over. You have all helped remind me that this journey has its challenges, but you just have to keep working through...(as does life in general!)

...and thanks to one special little boy, I am also reminded that there are some really good days, and some days where you just don't feel like doing what you are supposed to.

Miss Kathy came for PT this morning, asked how the week went, and I started getting emotional! We are so thankful for Miss Kathy and Miss Darlene for being there for Colin AND for us!

Miss Kathy pointed out (as did some of you), that Colin has been doing really well lately in oral motor development/speech and fine motor development so his gross motor development may just have taken a back seat. She reminded us that Colin is an observor, he loves watching what's going on around him and is content just hanging out where he is. Some kids are motivated physically, while some are also motivated socially (which is definitely Colin). She also said that he is doing really well physically, but we are at a point where these new skills are going to be more difficult to accomplish.

I also think that deep down I have focused in on Colin's 1st birthday and had set certain expectations for that date. It's silly, I know. I think it's ok to set the bar high, but to be patient because reaching that bar might just take a little while.

[Disclaimer: here come some more tears, happy tears though!]

...because look what Colin did for Chris and me...

He was on all 4s for about 10 seconds...

...and then was able to bear weight on his legs!





After PT, we went to Colin's school and had a meeting with one of the owners, and the two directors. We wanted to voice our praise for how happy we have been with Colin being there, but also, to voice our concerns for the future. It was such a great meeting and we felt so rejuvenated afterwards. It was great just to get out how we were feeling and to be on the same page with them.

So you know what we did tonight? We went out to dinner to Olive Garden to celebrate our family. For our good days and our bad days and all of our in between days.


Thanks for your support!

9 comments:

Team Carter Jay said...

I'm so sorry you had a rough week. I have those a lot too, and can totally relate. I'm glad that things turned around for you and that you're back on track. Your little guy is such a cutie, and YAY! on all of his cool new tricks. He's so big!

Kristin said...

I think Colin is just a few weeks younger than Max (bday March 31)... and we did the EXACT same things at PT this week (our first ever PT session), except he only holds his 4 point for a second or two. And it was the first time to put weight on his legs, ever. They'll get it - and teach us a lot about patience in the meantime! :)
Sorry you had such a rough week - being sick just adds to the exhaustion. Hugs.

Adrienne said...

I'm right there with you. But I'm so proud of Colin! He's doing great!!! We need to plan our get together! I was thinking some time in May, I would love to bring my family to the beach for the day so maybe we could meet there? Let me know what you think.

Heidi said...

I'm glad you are doing a bit better! Colin sounds so much like Joel a few years ago! Joel is an observer and when he was younger he loved to sit and watch everyone and everything. I think all of that observing pays off later. Now Joel is walking and talking up a storm. In his own time Colin will accomplish all of those things too and you will get to celebrate along the way!

He is so cute and I love that you went to the Olive Garden to celebrate! It's one of my favourite restaurants!

Natalia said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better! Also, I am SO proud of Colin, and I'm just as proud of you and Chris for being such patient, supportive,and caring parents. The three of you are an amazing family, and I love you with all my heart.

xoxo

Jorie said...

Loving that little boy sooo much, and his Mommy and Daddy too! We were so happy to see you guys last night and Colin all smiley this morning. He made a great "roommate"

Keep that head up Kel...you are doing an awesome job as a mom! We love you!

Leslie said...

Kelli - I totally feel what you are going through. I still have those day! I wish that we lived closer and could get our sons together. Hope next week is better. You are an awesome mom!

Grandad said...

To my beautiful daughter Kelli, now that my eyes have stopped misting at work,(its early, so no one is here yet)I am so proud of all of you, especially my grandson Colin. Every time I am with Colin, I KNOW he is going to accomplish everything in life he sets out to do, and will make his mark on this world, I can just see it in his personality, his strength and from my experience as being Dad. He is an inspiration to me, and my only true hero in this world! Love, Grandad.

mlfont said...

Kelli - I am sorry I missed you last week..you see, I was right there with you!!!! I was frustrated with everything! I say all of that because I am not always online and up to date on posts, always know you can email me and I can listen and send support your way!!! These boys are teaching us so much and as a friend reminded me last week, "take a deep breath!" Colin is a precious, perfect boy and as I tell Adrienne all the time..these boys are wise beyond their years!!! Sending hugs your way! Lara