Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Ever since Colin's race in the Summer Games on Saturday, he hasn't stopped talking about it.  He is able to string together some phrases like "I running fast", "put medal on head", and "I did it".  He will occasionally put his medal on and walk around wearing it.  He is really proud of what he did and so are we.  I honestly haven't stopped thinking about it and have watched my own montage video several times.  I really enjoyed being on that side of the fence cheering on my child as he ran his little heart out to the finish line.   


Chris and I are really thankful for how involved we have become in the Special Olympics of NJ because of Colin.  You can walk around at the summer games, or any SO event for that matter, and have a conversation with anyone.  There is such a feeling of camaraderie and everyone is so supportive of all of the athletes.  It's pretty neat too because Colin has become pretty well known and it still makes me laugh to have people come up and say hi to him when Chris and I have no idea who they are.  He just eats it up.   


I know that the Special Olympics is going to be a pretty big part of our lives for many years to come, and we are proud of that.  While we will always encourage Colin to participate in activities with his typical peers, I appreciate what the Young Athlete Program has provided for Colin and look forward to all that is still yet to come with his involvement in the Special Olympics.  


1 comment:

JC said...

Oh, he just looks so cute standing there with his medal!! So awesome to hear how proud he is of himself :)