Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Our Nemesis

I can assure you that before I complain discuss our potty training woes, we will continue to truck along, but every now and then I feel like we need to take a breather, let it out, and then move on.  


We despise potty training.  I won't lie, I feel like I am a pretty good Mom but this whole potty training thing is one of the most frustrating things I have had to tackle to date.  Granted, we have had to tackle a lot of things but THIS thing is #1 on my list as the thing I hate the MOST.  

Generally, I would say that potty training is going ok.  We are on a pretty regular schedule of putting Colin on the potty about once an hour give or take depending on what we are doing.  We travel everywhere with a backpack that has a potty seat in it so that Colin can go on a normal seat anywhere.  We arrive places, find a bathroom, and he goes before we leave different places.  This schedule works out ok for the most part, but Colin still doesn't tell us when he has to go and there are days he can go hours and stay dry and other days, he is wet in less than an hour.  There seems to be no consistency to what the day will bring nor does there seem to be any sort of pattern that has emerged.  

Colin is also the master at pinching off his stream so I think there are times he will tell us that he is all done and will be insistent that he doesn't have to go anymore, but then we find him wet at the next sitting.  I think that because he does this, he often let's go the last little bit that he didn't go on the potty (which is why he is often only slightly wet).  

He pretty much complains whenever it's time to go but for me, he generally doesn't give me a hard time.  However, there are days that he puts up a bigger (crying) fit for Chris when it's time to go even though most days he prefers Chris for any other activity.  

I know that people literally tackle this for a year (or years...ugh) so I know we need to just continue to be consistent but ugh, this is NOT fun!  Today I had to clean up the public restroom floor yet again because the stream just couldn't stay in the potty.  I have had to let some of my fears of public restroom germs go because of the amount of times I have had to clean up different things because of Colin's potty training.  


Ok, I'm done complaining (for now) so we will just keep pushing through...

4 comments:

Hmmmmmmm said...

Even so long ago, I remember how frustrated I was about this. I (literally) gave up. I told my son, "Here are the Big Boy pants and you can wear them when you are ready to pee and poop in the toilet. Until then, you are wearing diapers." As far as I know, he's wearing regular underwear now. The good news -- eventually you forget the exact date it happens! Hang in there and someday I will tell you the ultimate poop story......

Anonymous said...

I am dreading potty training. I have touched base on it a little but the Dr said not to even try til about 5 since Brendon has what they call "micro-penis"
(I am sure when he gets older and finds out i posted that online he won't be happy) lol

Laura said...

Maybe it has to do with the name Colin:) My Colin was SO difficult to potty train. There were lots of tears and screams from him (and me). I don't have any words of advice but just know that I understand. Sometimes I think the name Colin = stubborn!

Wren said...

I also hate potty training...I swear I've been potty training Sutter for 2 years...and I'm not sure I see an end in sight. sigh. What you're going through with Colin described out life to a 't'. The worst part is I blame myself...when Sutter was a little (barley 1) he would tell us when he had to go EVERY TIME! He would stay dry for days in a row, but it was hard because he was so little. He's always preferred a regular toilet so I'd have to hold him, hold some sort of shield (always fun in pubic...I too have cleaned many a floors in public)and try to balance...it was too much work so I got lax on it and he now rarely tells us when he has to go. The only time he will for sure tell me is if we're in town or on the road; at home never says when he has to go so I have him on a schedule. I'm just so ready to be done with pull-ups!