Sunday, January 8, 2012

Carter's Hope

One of the things that got me through the first few days, weeks, and year of Colin's diagnosis of Down Syndrome was the community of special needs bloggers that I discovered and never knew existed.  I was so excited when I received my first comment and still feel the same excitement today when I see a comment in my inbox.  While Chris and I are extremely lucky to have an amazing support system in our family and friends, sometimes it helps to know that other people are in the same place, on the same journey and understanding how you feel through different challenges.  I have been so lucky to have met an amazing group of people in blogland that I call my friends, while most of you I have never even met.  You have helped and supported me through some of our more trying times and rejoiced in our exciting times!  

One of the special people from blogland that I have had the privilege of "meeting" is Carter's Mommy from Team Carter.  Carter had a chromosomal disorder among other medical conditions and he ultimately went to heaven at just 14 months old from complications associated with his airway.  One can only imagine how the loss of a child must feel, but Carter's family has been doing some wonderful things in his honor.  




One of the project's that Carter's Mommy is working is a website called Carter's Hope.  The goal of Carter's Hope is to assist families who may just be starting out on their journey in the world of special needs.  I know that a site like this early on in our journey would have been extremely helpful as we didn't know where to turn or start.  We were honored to share Colin's journey on Carter's Hope and Carter's Mommy is hoping that you will too!  Take a look at her site and check out the link to submit your story!  Think about how helpful it may be to someone who is just starting!  


No comments: