Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Living in the Moment

I have been thinking a lot the past few days about the pressures we have to make sure that Colin "does his homework" on a daily basis so that we can continue to help make him stronger. I often get myself so worried about days when he complains and it's just impossible to work on the specific things we need to or when life happens and there just isn't enough time in a day to do everything we need to practice.

Colin and I went to visit our cousins on Saturday (more on that later) and Colin's cousin Penelope had a toy that he got so excited about and was so curious to touch different things and try them out. So, I used a gift card and went out and bought it on Monday. I was worried that I would bring it home and Colin wouldn't be as interested, but low and behold, he LOVES it. I was sitting there watching him this morning thinking how happy he was and how curious he was about this new toy. I kept trying to put him on his hands and knees to practice the crawling skills, but he wanted nothing to do with it today. So I let him just play and be happy and that he was...


So while I have been sitting here at work catching up on blogs (and once again, not doing what I should be doing) I came across this website about the I'm Down with You Project, thanks to Chrystal at One More, More than One. I read through the whole thing and was so moved. These pictures are some of the most beautiful pictures I have ever seen and I think the project is amazing.

At the end of the website there is a link titled "video" and it is behind the scenes footage of the documentary "I'm Down with You". I watched this video again and in it, heard something I had previously missed. Jagatjoti Khalsa describes people with Down Syndrome as individuals that "live in the moment".

And so I realized...sometimes, we need to just play and be happy in this moment and not worry about what we should be doing. That's what Colin tells me some times. "Mommy, let's just play and be happy".

2 comments:

Aunt Kimmy said...

Colin you are such a happy baby in this picture and I love it! I miss you a lot and can't wait to see you! I love you
Love Aunt Kimmy

mlfont said...

Hi Kelli! I needed this post today, thanks for blessing me. I find myself "anxious" about the homework, exercises, etc.. for Parker and worry all the time I am doing not enough? or too much? Living in the moment is what we all need more of! Colin is such a cutie - love the new toy too!