Sunday, July 5, 2009

Books to Read

I have read several different books in relation to Down Syndrome in the past week. If you are interested, I would be more than happy to lend them out.

First I read Gifts: Mothers Reflect on How having Children with Down Syndrome has Enriched their Lives. This is a collection of stories from different mothers who all have children with Down Syndrome. I read through it in only 2 days and really enjoyed it because I felt a common understanding. It feels good to hear about other stories where I could relate. I just came across the Gifts website that I really enjoyed because of the different things the site offers, plus, it lists all different blogs to look at by families with children with Down Syndrome. I submitted this blog for approval so we'll see what happens! There are some really neat things on this website including video montages, blogs, and other links.

Next, I read Another Season by Gene Stallings, one of the great football coaches at Alabama. He writes about his 3rd child's diagnosis of Down Syndrome (which at that time was considered mongoloidism) and the ups and downs of raising Johnny. It was an interesting perspective because of the difference in time periods between then (60s) and now. It made me realize how fortunate we are to be afforded the oppportunity of early intervention, clinics and highly educated physicians who care for children with Down Syndrome in a much different manner. I found a video on Youtube that you can find here about Gene Stallings and his child Johnny.

Finally, I read Road Map to Holland: How I Found my Way Through My Son's First 2 Years with Down Syndrome by Jennifer Graf Groneberg. I really enjoyed this book because of how many things reminded me of my own situation and finding out my son had DS. By the end of the book, I realized that because of the fact Colin may have areas of development that are slower than other children, we will be more patient with him and will thoroughly enjoy when Colin reaches his goals and accomplishes simple tasks that may have otherwise been overlooked. We will have a greater appreciation of the things Colin will achieve throughout his development.

Finally, I am also reading Babies with Down Syndrome: A New Parents Guide. There is a lot of great information, but I am taking my time with it because I have found there is so much information that some times it's too much. I have learned to take one day at a time and the information provided for now is great. Sometimes, however, it's too much to look too far into the future...

No comments: