Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Saying Goodbye

I am having a really hard time this week as we say goodbye to people that we now call friends.  Colin is finishing up with Early Intervention and moving on to the next chapter in his life when he heads to preschool on Friday.  I have been thinking a lot this week as I watch Colin do all of these amazing things, feeling so proud of all that he has accomplished to get where he is now.  He certainly has had to work really hard to get here.  Most of the time I look at my little boy and the words Down Syndrome don't even cross my mind.  However, it is such a part of our life...


I can assure you that I have never cried as hard as I did the day that Colin's diagnosis was confirmed.  I could not believe that "it" was happening to us.  However, in all that we have seen Colin do in the past 3 years to grow and change, is the same kind of journey that we have been on ourselves as we have come to realize that "it" was one of the BEST things that could have ever happened to our family.  When our first therapist came to our home, we were so nervous about what all of this meant.  However, our therapists have become our friends, they have listened to our concerns, been a shoulder to cry on, and have pushed Colin to do the things they knew he was capable of doing, and more.  


With friends, you are never really saying goodbye, I know, but so much will be changing.  Every week, in a minimum of 5 hours, we have had these friends in our home working with Colin.  Words fail me in trying to find a way to say thank you, and I really could not even begin to tell you how grateful I am for this journey we are on, for our friends that we are now saying goodbye to, and for that one tiny little "extra" chromosome that Colin has.  

Parents with a child with special needs are often asked if we would "change" our child's diagnosis if we could...

...if you ask me, he is perfect the way he is.  

1 comment:

Rochelle said...

EI folks are so hard to say goodbye to. They become like family don't they? I can't wait to see him soar in preschool. He is gonna rock it!