Saturday, June 11, 2011

One of the Most Rewarding Days

What a wonderful and special day today was! Chris and I, along with our friends Jorie, Zach, Joe and Melissa, volunteered at the annual Special Olympics of New Jersey summer games! If you had told me years ago, even 2 years ago, that this would become such a wonderful part of our life I would never have believed you.

I realized something today. WE are a part of something amazing. We get to have playdates and socialize and talk to our friends and people in the "typical" child world, but we also are a part of a family of people that are special. While I was there today, I just felt like I was a part of something and it felt really good.

Our job today was working in the Olympic village where the athletes and their families could come in and have fun playing games and score some free things from sponsors. We had so much fun working one of the inflatable "obstacle courses" helping and cheering on the people that came through. I can't even tell you how many hands I held to help them up and over a wall, and watching family and friends cheer on their loved ones. It just felt. so. good.

Later, my parents brought Colin and Kailey over and I was so happy that Colin was there. He was a hit! He was crawling all over the football field saying hi to anyone that crossed paths with him and gave out LOTS of hi-fives and kisses. So many people came over to say hi to him and I could just foresee us there one day and having Colin participating and loving every minute of it. I watched this one little boy waiting on the starting blocks in the pool showing how strong he was and trying to get the crowd pumped up and it made me giggle. He looked like Colin in about 5 years.

My cup runneth over. I am proud and honored to be part of something bigger than me.












I know Kailey is going to be Colin's biggest cheerleader...you should see how she smiles at her brother!



What a truly amazing day!! Thanks Joe, Melissa, Zach and Jorie for helping us get involved!

3 comments:

Kathy O. said...

I loved reading this post..
I'm trying to think of something else to say, but that just says it right there. :)
I owe you and a few people pictures and an update...coming soon i promise.

Michelle said...

What a wonderful day you had! We had the opportunity to volunteer at SO bowling in NM and I understand your sentiments! Looking forward to getting more involved with SO too.

Nana said...

It was such a great day!!