Monday, April 11, 2011

Earlier this weekend I was going to put up a post about how Colin has been a "bad boy" lately and had some video proof of that. His teeth have put him in this little funk again unfortunately, but I can at least associate his bad behavior with the pain of his molars and eye teeth coming through. It's not that I am making excuses for this bit of trouble he has been getting into, but, I do see a direct correlation to how he acts when he is in pain. On the worst days, feeding is challenging because he spits out his food (must hurt his gums) and he starts hitting/swatting at people and Kailey when they do something, say something, or try to get him to do something that he doesn't want to do. In one of the videos that I took, Colin is smirking at me while I tell him no to going into my computer desk cabinet that he knows is off limits. It makes Chris and I laugh at times because in some ways, this mischievious behavior is just so typical that we love it! It is also frustrating, but that's when he is just being plain ole' defiant. I know, I know, you are probably thinking to yourself "how can this little boy do anything wrong?". I assure you, he is a typical two year old in so many ways. His relationship with his sister is slowly growing and I love seeing him initiate contact with her, especially when he wants to hug and kiss her. Today when she was crying, Colin was standing at the side of the couch next to her and was lifting up his arms to her as though he wanted to hug her (or have her pick him up since I wouldn't...lol). We have been working really harding on this feeding technique and although I still don't see big changes yet, Colin has been tolerating our efforts. To reward this, we still have allowed him to participate in the feeding (albeit minimally) and it's amazing how he is now aquiring skills to self-feed with a spoon when we haven't been working on it as much. In this video, Colin is practicing feeding himself pudding...



Colin knows what he wants and is finding more and more ways to express himself. Today, he started pointing at the fireplace mantle and saying "yes" and signing bubbles, and when I looked over, the bubbles from the weekend ended up there. I asked him if he wanted to blow bubbles and he vigorously said "yes". He asks to watch Mickey Mouse all the time, although there are really only specific times in the day that he gets to watch. In this next video, Mickey Mouse ended so he crawled over, stood up, and took the remote off of the couch and was trying to put it on. It's hysterical how he knows what to "do" in order to get to Mickey...



Colin's speech and language skills are slowly growing and we get more and more excited every day as Colin says new words/sounds and communicates to us. While I was feeding Kailey yesterday, Colin was playing with his activity table and I started to realize that he was singing the "ABCs" with the music. When the song would end, he would spin one of the components to make it go again. I loved it!

6 comments:

debbi said...

the video's are all soo adorable. Colin is doing so wonderfully!

Kristin said...

Colin - you are such a smartie pants!

Nana said...

He's growing to be such a big boy! So cute! Love, Nana

Natalia said...

Oh my gosh!! I LOVE the ABC video at the end! It put the biggest smile on my face...in fact, I'm STILL smiling while I type this!

His cute little bottom rocking back and forth and his little voice singing made my whole night! :)

randy said...

Cutest little "bad boy" busting some butt wiggling EVER. Question? Did you ever consider (I know some parents won't) feeding Colin to his Mickey show? Distracting him from something he finds so unpleasant (establishing the "correct" eating technique) with his favorite show (watched ONLY now at meal time) until you win the battle and the eating war? Might have to resort to a little deception until full bribery has some meaning:=) Just a thought on your behalf especially if the end would JUSTIFY ALL YOUR EFFORTS! XXOO-Love, me

Michelle said...

I love the videos of Collin - he is so adorable! Sounds like he's making some great strides. And I have to mention I absolutely LOVE the hat he's wearing in the first pic :)