Sunday, April 20, 2014

Happy 5th Birthday Colin!

A couple of years ago, I would have thought that writing Colin's 5th birthday post would be incredibly emotional for me.  Even a year ago I would have expected myself to have a harder time writing this birthday post compared to any other one.  What I am feeling today is just excitement, pride, and most especially, totally in love with a little boy who stole my heart when he first entered this world. 

Chris' and my journey together with Colin has been one that has certainly had its ups and downs, but mostly its ups.  While I can still open up that little box that contains those feelings we felt when Colin was first born and brought with him a diagnosis of Down Syndrome that we weren't expecting, they often stay tucked away the farther away we get from that day.  While Chris and I were incredibly scared, Colin literally showed us the way and today we are wishing our little boy the happiest of birthdays. 

We are turning a big corner as Colin turns 5 in that he will be heading to Kindergarten next year.  We will be starting a new chapter together and although it once again feels a little scary, we know that Colin will continue to show us the way.  We will just continue to champion for him and love him unconditionally...

Happy 5th birthday Colin! Words cannot express how much we love you, how proud we are of all that you have accomplished, and how happy you make us.  Here's to many more years of wonderfulness! 


2 comments:

Rochelle said...

Happy birthday, Colin!

JC said...

I don't know how I missed this post! Funny, everything you said in that first paragraph is what I feel now. Just the thought of Russell turning five this year stirs up so many emotions. I hope to feel the same way you do when the time comes.

Still can't believe Colin is five! Such beautiful pictures in the video :)