Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Gross Motor Progress

Colin is now in the process of "transitioning" from his current classroom (Rosebuds) to the next classroom (Acorns) because at his school, the classrooms change age levels every 6 months. He will probably finish out the school year in this next classroom and then begin the 4th classroom in September when he comes back to school. I am so happy that he will be moving up with his peers that around his age (give or take a few months) because I think the modeling is great for him on a daily basis.

I've been nervous about this transitioning process only because when I look in that classroom, Colin looks so small compared to the other kids. Chris and I were talking about it the other night and I think it's really because he's just not standing and walking yet. I'm sure that will all change once he is. I was a little bit worried because he's the only one not walking in this next classroom and he's one of the only ones who aren't completely feeding themselves yet, but I also don't think these are reasons to hold him back either. We are starting to make strides in these departments, albeit slowly.

This weekend, Colin started feeding himself pancake. He did a great job and then on Monday morning, all he wanted to do was play with it. Of course that was the day I wanted him to do it alone since I was in a hurry to drop him off at school and get to work on time, but I'm also not pushing too hard because I don't want to backtrack from the progress we have made. I know that one day it will just all come together and "click" just like it did with the straw. We are starting to notice that he will pick up things like crackers, cheezits (I forget how to spell that!), pretzels, etc. and put them in his mouth, but then he remembers he doesn't like the texture and immediately throws or drops it. Baby steps right?

We are extremely happy with Colin's gross motor progress although sometimes it gets overshadowed when he is in a room with all walkers. It's easy for people to notice that he is NOT walking even though he has come so far from where he was at just 3 months ago was he was hardly mobile. Colin is becoming more comfortable in a standing position and we are able to do more activities with him in this position. His standing position is slowly becoming more upright and "erect" (I can't help but laugh and picture the evolution picture here with the progression of humans becoming more erect with time as they evolved). You can tell that he is gaining strength in his core and leg muscles.

Miss Kathy has been working with a slinky a lot because Colin really enjoys playing with it. Chris caught the tail end of his standing exercise today, but Miss Kathy will prop Colin up with his back to the furniture and then have him stand for longer periods of time.



When we do the "step, step, step" walking activity with him, he is also starting to stand more upright when he is walking around the room with assistance. The progress is there and we see it every day and we are so happy. We have come so far from the days of worrying when it was going to happen, but we still have those little struggles here and there with instances like at school where his mobility is more obvious (but then again, who cares, right?). He is such a little cutie isn't he?

8 comments:

Aimee said...

It's funny how, when you actually have to work toward something and it doesn't just happen, you appreciate all of the little steps that go toward making something BIG happen. Maybe that's what we're supposed to "get" from having a kid that needs more help- to stop and smell the roses (which has never been, by the way, my strong suit...) and appreciate the little things? Way to go, Colin! Piper patty-caked for you through the WHOLE video- and then waved hi.

Rochelle said...

Awesome progress Colin!

Nana said...

What a big boy!! I'm so proud of you!! Love, Nana

Adrienne said...

I ♥ Colin!!! That's all:)

viv said...

he is doing great ! I love that standing activity and will borrow that for Owen - the slinky is a perfect distraction.

Kelly said...

Great job Colin!! Keep up the good work=) I cannot wait to see you do that in person...........VERY SOON!! Kelli, I am checking our dates to see when we can meet up next!! Looking forward to it! Wow, our boys have really come a long way since the last time we saw one another!! LOVE IT!!!

Emily said...

Look how GOOD he is doing! Way to go Colin!

Runningmama said...

He's doing so great...I think it's great that he gets to move classrooms with his peers I have a feeling he will start walking sooner than later because he will want to keep up with them...way to go Colin!