Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Physical Therapy Update

The therapy visits just keep on rolling!

Colin had the BEST physical therapy session today that he has had yet. I was watching the video that Chris took of the session and I had tears in my eyes because I was so proud of Colin (and because I missed it!). I just sat there as my heart swelled with pride for my little boy. I can't even fully put into words right now how I felt as I just sat there and watched it.

I also have to say that I am so incredibly happy with both of Colin's therapists. They are both so incredibly caring and knowledgeable that I know my whole family are better because of them. Not only is Colin excelling, but Chris and I are learning valuable information at the same time.

It's also so amazing to me how the physical therapy visits build upon themselves. Obviously the therapists plan on what they are going to do, but because Colin changes so fast it's almost a natural progression (and following normal development progressions).

This is what Colin is already doing:
  • Pull to sit - and holding his head while he does it
  • Supported sitting
  • Tummy time with great head extension
  • Rolling from tummy to back
  • When lying on his back, he can bring his arms to midline to grasp objects (and brings his legs up)
  • Reach and grasp objects

This is how Miss K built upon those skills today:

  • Pull to sit from side-lying and also making Colin grasp objects on his own first, or grasp her fingers before performing this exercise
  • In supported sitting, she introduced holding objects in both hands and banging those objects together and on a container to make noise (which he loved doing!)
  • On his tummy, she started assisting him to reach his arms out in front of him for an object by shifting his weight to one side
  • Since he was already rolling, she introduced giving him some support to "kick off" her hand (and also because he is already bringing his knees up under him to push off of - He rolled about 5 times in a row VERY easily)
  • Placing an object on his tummy to bring his arms to mid-line which has also been encouraging him to bring his legs up as well!

Not only did Colin build upon all of his previous skills, but he lasted the whole session without ONE complaint! Also, where his right arm was lagging a little bit when compared to his left he showed GREAT improvements with his ability to reach and grasp with his right arm! We are so proud of our little boy!

No comments: