Sunday, February 24, 2013

CAT Crew's 4th Plunge

On February 23, 2013, team CAT Crew participated in our 4th Special Olympics of NJ Polar Bear Plunge. While the experience this year was particularly wet and cold, it was still a HUGE success as we were 46 members strong raising just over $35,000.  In our 4 years as a united team, we have managed to raise approximately $150,000.  To say that I am proud of that number would be an understatement.  

The success of our team is due to each individual member who participated in the fundraising efforts by seeking out donations from family members, friends, coworkers, local businesses, and complete strangers and setting goals to do all that they can to help.  I am so grateful to every single one of you for every penny that you have contributed to the Special Olympics because your efforts combined with the rest of the participants of the Polar Bear Plunge to raise over $1,000,000!  Colin has already benefited from all that you have contributed and will continue to for many years to come.  So, from the bottom of Chris and my hearts, we thank you...

This year the conditions were pretty sub par   The day brought temperatures of 41 degrees, steady (but light) rain and a water temperature of 37 degrees.  The rain came with a storm so the sea did not have the gentleness we have experienced in the past.  


We spent the morning with many of our team members at a buffet breakfast and had a great view overlooking the area of the beach where we were to be plunging.  Colin was so cute as we were walking along the boardwalk and into the breakfast waving at as many people as he could.  It was as if he was saying...."thank you".  


Unfortunately, Chris was unable to be here for it this year as he was away with work on a long road trip.  He was, however, there with us in spirit and "checked in" with us via skype.  As you can see by the look on his face, Colin was more than thrilled to talk to Daddy.  





At first it appeared that the conditions may have deterred plungers as the beach seemed more quiet than normal, however, the closer it got to plunge time, the more crowded it got.  This year, the plunge brought in more than 4,000 plungers!


No matter what the conditions have brought us through the years, the one thing that never changes is the excitement on the beach.  I have to admit that this year brought me some hesitation since I did not have Chris by my side to plunge with me and it was just so cold.  However, I felt my usual rush of overwhelming emotion as I watch the beach filled with so many people who contributed.  I sort of felt like an outsider looking in as I scanned my group and felt so grateful for all that my friends, family, and new team members (ones that I never even met) did to support Colin.  We are just so lucky to have this support...

The stranger from another group that was chosen to take our team picture this year did NOT do a very good job so unfortunately, all of the pictures cut off parts of the group....








I had pretty much told myself that I was not going to go under this  year since I didn't have Chris to help me and since I have still been fighting being sick.  So, when I went down to the water I went in up to my shins and then turned around and came out.  However, as I stood there in my towel, I felt this overwhelming feeling of guilt and so I ran back in and went under.  Although it was cold and shocking, it felt so much better by going all the way in...



Chris and I have been so blessed since we began this journey with Colin.  From the moment our friends and family found out that Colin was born with Down Syndrome, they have rallied around us and been his (and ours) biggest supporters.  On top of that, year after year, they have jumped into ocean water that has never been more than 38 degrees after raising money for the Special Olympics.  We are SO grateful.  


My cup runneth over...

No comments: