Tuesday, August 24, 2010

End of Summer


There is something magical about the beach....warm sand between your toes, waves rolling onto shore in the background, and feeling the sun on your body. I have known this since I was 2 months old when my parents first started bringing me to the beach.
I am now 29 years old and have never missed a summer where I felt this...

My parents have 29 years worth of family pictures on the beach that continued to grow as they had more children. Our classic picture always became us lined up on the beach, in birth order, facing forwards and then facing backwards. We always had our traditions surrounding our 1st day at the beach with breakfast and pictures...(wish I had some of those classics to show you!) However, they looked much like these (just a lot smaller!)


























When Chris and I met almost 7 years ago, we spent a lot of time on the beach in one of the most beautiful months...September. As someone who only spent time there in the summer when the towns were swarming with people, I could never imagine how desolate it must be without people around. That all changed when I lived there for my first offseason. I can assure you that there is a beauty in that month unlike what you would find in the summer months.
What my parents, siblings and I have always enjoyed together, started to become the same kinds of traditions that I started to share with my own family.

This very spot where Chris and I are standing with Colin is the very spot that Chris proposed to me and where we started our life together....


Last summer was a little tough with Colin and the beach because he was so young that there were many things that bothered him, including the wind. However, this year, I can honestly say that he has become a little beach baby! He enjoyed the sand and the sun and his toys and by the last day, he even enjoyed the ocean! (It was always a little bit intimidating to him...he never cried, but seemed nervous. However, on our last day at the beach, he actually enjoyed the waves washing up on his feet and laughed and yelled and had a fun time!)

The end of our summer is always difficult, especially for my mom and I. To bid farewell, they took us to a very nice dinner at a restaurant on the water. Colin loved his linguini and was such a good boy!

Afterwards, we headed to the boardwalk to try out some rides for Colin. I've been so excited to do this all summer...Unfortunately, it was a little overstimulating for him with all of the people and sounds, so I don't think he enjoyed it as much as I thought he was going to. However, he still gave us a few smiles...


It's always tough on the last day saying goodbye after a great summer together...But as the sun sets on another beautiful summer, we know that there are many great things ahead...and there's always next summer!



7 comments:

Deanna said...

what a neat family tradition! i was relaxed just looking at your pics! jealous. (-:

Rochelle said...

That is a great family tradition. I am so glad Colin decided to love the beach as much as you guys do. Truly beautiful!

Suze said...

Say it isn't so...summer can't be over!Love the family photos - I am sure you will continue that tradition with your family now! Colin must be getting tall - I know he has about 5 months or so on Tommy, but they would not let me take Tommy on that one ride Chris was on with him b/c he was too short!

Stephanie said...

That was a beautiful post! I love the tradition of the photo, front and back.

Colin is adorable.

Nana said...

That was a beautiful post! I got teary all over again!! Another great summer! Love, Nana

Becca said...

Wow, what absolutely beautiful photos! Bittersweet about the end of summer. I'm not quite willing to let it go yet. I hope we can still meet up in the off-season when we're up there in a few weeks!

Natalia said...

This post was absolutely beautiful, Kel. From the pictures to your words, my just heart melted. GORGEOUS. :)

I love you! xoxo