Friday, October 11, 2019

Down Syndrome Awareness Month - Siblings (Day 11)

Just like any other set of siblings, our kids have the best of days together as well as the worst of days when they just can't get along. In the grand scheme of life, they truly are friends and I have enjoyed watching their relationships grow and change throughout the years. I think most new parents of a child with a disability worry and stress over what life will be like for the siblings (and we were no different) but I truly believe that Colin having Down Syndrome is making my children better people for this world. Because of Colin they are learning to communicate in different ways with others, have empathy, be patient and understanding, more inclusive of all people, more helpful, and so many other things. Most especially, they are learning how to support Colin (and each other) in ways that they each need love and support. They say and do things daily that surprise me like these few examples. 

- Over the summer at the Special Olympics Summer Games, Cody enjoyed hanging out with one of Colin's teammates who cannot communicate with words, but rather, inflection of sounds and hand gestures. He's an older athlete and he's always making sure everyone is where they should be/when. He was trying to say something to me this summer and I wasn't really sure what that was and Cody turned to me and said "Duh Mom, he said...." and then explained to me what it was he was saying. 

- On the first day of football practice this season, Colin said hi to a teammate but she didn't respond. Her dad explained that she is deaf and showed Colin how to say hi to her (bend down to her eye level and wave so that she can see him) which he then did. He continued to do this every time he would see her. One day, Chris was at a practice or game and said hi to her (without waving). Colin immediately spoke up to him and said "Daadd! She's deaf! You need to do this (and bent down to her level and waved - she waved back) so that she knows you are talking to her!"

- Kailey says things almost daily because she is probably the MOST aware. Colin's teacher told us that she noticed Colin crying on the playground the other day (this is a whole separate post in itself) and she went up to the teacher to ask/let them know. She was worried and wanted to make sure they knew. She is also incredibly helpful to Colin and will often step in to help him with things before Chris and I are even able. 


I don't think that I could have predicted at the time of Colin's birth, when I unnecessarily worried about how my other kids would be affected, what the outcome would be on our children. The outcome is better siblings, better children, better friends and one day, better people. I am so thankful for that.

No comments: