Thursday, March 3, 2016

Special Olympics NJ Baseball Clinic

Colin recently had an opportunity to participate in a two part clinic with the Princeton University Baseball Team and Special Olympics NJ. Colin was really excited as he LOVES playing baseball so I thought it would be a great opportunity to get out and play. I wasn't really sure what to expect but I was really proud of Colin for how well he did and for how well the clinic was run. 
 
 
As a parent, I was so happy to see how well the players worked with the athletes. I thought it was neat in watching them because I could tell they were not sure what to expect in terms of Colin's abilities but then get excited over how into it Colin was and how well he could actually throw and hit. Colin was really comfortable playing with them and on the flipside, I could tell that they were comfortable working with him (and the other athletes as well).
 


I also have to say that I was proud of myself for trying to stay back and out of the picture and let Colin just do his thing with the guys. I can often be a "hoverer" making sure Colin's understood when he talks, that he's listening and following directions and doing what he's supposed to do in the moment. However, I really forced myself to let Colin be on his own and was so impressed with how well he did and was able to communicate and participate without  needing me to get involved.
 


It really was a fun experience and I look forward to future opportunities for Colin!




 
Thank you to the Princeton University Baseball Team and Special Olympics NJ!

No comments: