Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Moving Forward

I've been trying to write a post now for a few weeks, ever since we had the first part of due process at the Office of Administrative Law. It was started, halfway written, edited a bunch of times, but I just can't seem to finish it. Instead, I decided to start a whole new one.  I've been having a particularly difficult time with all of this because I am just so utterly disappointed in how this entire year has gone for Colin in school. I am most especially disappointed because our case is officially headed to a hearing (trial) in late August because the district is adamant that Colin cannot be educated in a general education setting but refuses to support him in the ways that would allow him to be successful. I have read and reread IDEA so many times, still continue to research inclusion and the many benefits, and yet here we are headed to a hearing. I know that Colin can be successful but he has to be given a real chance. It all starts with a belief that a child like Colin is capable.   
 

It was nice to have a little bit extra of a break this weekend with it being Memorial Day. We were invited to walk in a parade in our friend's hometown of Hillsborough with their new Gigi's Playhouse.  We were so proud to support all those who were marching with Down Syndrome. It was also so nice to spend some time with great friends later that day after the parade.


For our family, summer sort of begins with our first official beach day. This year had some new dynamics with Cody being just about mobile but it felt so nice to be in the sand again. There is something refreshing about time spent near the ocean and I am so grateful we have that opportunity every summer.


My parents started a tradition many years ago during our summers at the beach where on our first day, we (my siblings and I) would take a picture of the 4 of us facing forward on the beach and then again facing the water (with the picture taken from behind). I am looking forward to continuing that tradition with my own kids.


While I am having a tough time right now, I know God has a plan for Colin and our family. While I can't understand all of the parts to that plan right now, I have faith that there is a purpose to these trials Colin is facing. I truly hope we can all come to an agreement that will benefit Colin and his future success.
 
 
"Every child has a different learning style and pace. Each child is unique, not only capable of learning but also capable of succeeding." 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I live on Long Island and am currently battling with my sons school district with his placement for 1st grade... I don't understand why they have to make things so difficult... I know my son best and I know what will and won't work for him.. I hope you guys get what you are looking for for Colin...